Who We Are
The GREAT Family of Ohio DOs
The Ohio Osteopathic Association (OOA) is a divisional (state) society of the American Osteopathic Association. The OOA advocates for nearly 5,000 osteopathic physicians in the state, approximately 1,000 medical students attending Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM), as well as several hospitals as institutional members.
To be the professional home for all osteopathic physicians in Ohio.
To promote the distinctive philosophy and practice of osteopathic medicine in Ohio.
- To promote the public health of the people of Ohio;
- To cooperate with all public health agencies;
- To maintain high standards at all osteopathic institutions with the state;
- To maintain and elevate osteopathic medical education and postgraduate training programs in the prevention and treatment of disease;
- To encourage research and investigation, especially that pertaining to the principles of the osteopathic school of medicine;
- To maintain the highest standards of ethical conduct in all phases of osteopathic medicine and surgery; and
- To promote such other activities as are consistent with the above purposes.
- To protect the right to practice osteopathic medicine
- To enhance public awareness of the osteopathic profession
- To preserve osteopathic principles
- To strengthen the practices of OOA members
- To promote the public health of the people of Ohio
- To demonstrate the value of OOA membership
- To ensure continued growth and financial stability of the association
- To inspire unity, pride, leadership and a sense of volunteerism
- To embrace new technology
How We Meet Our Goals
We protect the right to practice osteopathic medicine by supporting legislative and regulatory initiatives.
We enhance public awareness of the osteopathic profession through an ongoing education and marketing plan directed at one or more specific target groups so that DOs are selected as physicians of choice by these targets.
We preserve osteopathic principles by (a) supporting osteopathic medical education and research at the pre and postdoctoral levels and (b) providing outstanding and innovative continuing medical education through the Ohio Osteopathic Foundation.
We strengthen the practice of osteopathic medicine by (a) maintaining the highest ethical and business standards and; (b) developing innovative programs which improve quality of patient care, promote innovative practice management skills, and reduce individual practice expenses.
We promote the public health of the people of Ohio by cooperating with public healthcare agencies, organizations and coalitions to prevent disease and improve public safety through appropriate education, legislative and regulatory initiatives.