History

The OOA's distinguished past has paved a road to our dynamic future.  The following timeline highlights important dates in the evolution of osteopathic medicine in Ohio - including the fight for equal practice rights, the growth of Osteopathic Hospitals and the establishment of the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.  Also get information on OOA Past Presidents and OOA Award Recipients

Learn more about the history of the Ohio osteopathic profession in A Second Voice: A Century of Osteopathic Medicine in Ohio.  Click Here to purchase a copy of the book.

Timeline

1874

  • Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, a licensed frontier physician, first articulates basic osteopathic concepts.

1892

  • The American School of Osteopathy is founded in Kirksville, Missouri.

1896

  • Eugene Eastman, DO, opens an office in Akron.
  • Herman Taylor Still, DO, a son of A.T. Still, opens a practice in Cincinnati.
  • Grace Huston of Circleville is the first Ohio student to enroll at the Kirksville school.
  • Vermont becomes the first state to license DOs.

1897

  • The American Association for the Advancement of Osteopathy (now known as the American Osteopathic Association) is founded.
  • Eugene Eastman, DO, is arrested in Akron for practicing medicine without a license.
  • W.J. Liffring, DO, of Toledo is arrested for practicing without a license.

1898

  • On December 31, a group of Ohio osteopathic physicians meet at the home of M.F. Hullet, DO, and form the Ohio Society for the Advancement of Osteopathy; George W. Sommer, DO, is elected the group's first president.

1899

  • The Ohio Supreme Court rules that the Ohio Medical Practice Act does not apply to osteopathy, leaving DOs in a practice limbo.
  • The Love medical practice act passes the Ohio General Assembly and establishes a four-year educational curriculum for DOs -- a higher standard than what existed for MDs at that time.
  • DOs refuse to register under the new law.

1900

  • Hugh H. Gravett, DO, of Piqua is arrested for refusing to register.

1901

  • On December 7, the Ohio Osteopathic Association is incorporated by Clarence Kerr, DO; M.F. Hulett, DO; George J. Eckert, DO; William A. Gravett, DO; J.T.L. Morris, DO; E.R. Booth, DO; and H.G. Dilleon, DO.
  • The Ohio Supreme Court rules the Love Bill unconstitutional: "Medical law includes osteopathy but the Love Bill is void as to osteopaths because while giving them a limited certificate which does not entitle them to prescribe drugs or perform surgery, it requires four years of preparatory study which it does not require of regular practitioners whose certificates to practice authorizes them to engage in the unlimited practice of medicine and surgery."
  • E.R. Booth, DO, of Cincinnati is the first Ohioan to be elected president of the American Osteopathic Association.

1902

  • The first examination for DO licensure is given by the Ohio State Medical Board.

1903

  • The Seventh Annual Convention of the American Osteopathic Association is held in Cleveland.

1904

  • The new Ohio College of Osteopathy, located in Chillicothe, graduates its first class in 1904; the college folds shortly thereafter.

1905

  • E.R. Booth of Cincinnati publishes his "History of Osteopathy and Twentieth Century Medical Practice."

1910

  • The Flexner Report is published, recommending that 124 of the 155 MD colleges be closed.

1916

  • The first osteopathic institution in the state -- the Delaware Springs Sanitarium (a.k.a. Delaware Osteopathic Hospital), a facility with 30 beds -- is founded in Delaware by Dr. L.A. Bumstead; the facility closed after many years.
  • Norwalk Memorial Hospital -- the early beginnings of Fisher-Titus Medical Center -- is built.

1919

  • Ohio DOs win the right to perform major surgery, but only to use anesthetics and antiseptics.

1923

  • Ohioan William A. Gravett, DO, is elected president of the AOA.

1926

  • Dayton Osteopathic Hospital, a converted two-story private home that houses just 10 beds, is founded by three physicians.

1927

  • Marietta Osteopathic Clinic is opened.

1929

  • Records show that 589 DOs are now licensed in the State of Ohio.

1932

  • The Loretta Britton Convalescent Home (a.k.a. Sandusky Memorial Hospital) is utilized as the first osteopathic hospital in Sandusky.

1934

  • A new 18-bed facility is built as Marietta Osteopathic Hospital.

1935

  • A group of 38 osteopathic physicians and surgeons meet to formulate plans for an osteopathic hospital in Cleveland and form the Cleveland Osteopathic Hospital Association; later the same year, Richard A. Sheppard, DO, purchases a three-story white building in downtown Cleveland that is converted into the 35-bed Cleveland Osteopathic Hospital facility (predecessor to Bay View Hospital).
  • The OOA elects Gertrud Helmecke Reimer, DO, as its first woman president.

1939

  • The Auxiliary to the OOA receives its charter.
  • Dayton Osteopathic Hospital was purchased by the osteopathic profession in Dayton and incorporated as a non-profit institution.

1940

  • Doctors Hospital North opens as a 24-bed osteopathic facility in an old mansion in Columbus.
  • Sandusky-area osteopathic physicians incorporate their hospital as a non-profit institution, begin leasing its facility from the Hinde Estate and briefly change the facility's name to Hinde Memorial.
  • East Liverpool Osteopathic Hospital opens; it closes its doors three decades later.

1943

  • On July 31, DOs achieve equal practice rights in Ohio, including the right to prescribe all classes of drugs.
  • DOs become the first healthcare profession in the state to self-impose a mandatory, two-day continuing medical education requirement for state licensure in the Ohio Revised Code.
  • Four osteopathic physicians begin Green Cross General Hospital as a 50-bed facility in Akron.
  • J.O. Watson, DO, of Columbus becomes the first DO to serve on the Ohio State Medical Board -- a position he retains until 1971.

1945

  • Parkview Hospital, founded by six osteopathic physicians, opens in Toledo with 28 beds.

1946

  • A group of Warren-area osteopathic physicians open Mahoning Valley Green Cross Hospital in the former home of W.D. Packard.

1947

  • Grandview Hospital, a new 65-bed osteopathic facility, is dedicated in Dayton.

1948

  • Cleveland Osteopathic Hospital purchases an estate in Bay Village, which is transformed to a 60-bed Bay View Hospital.

1949

  • The Ohio Osteopathic Hospital Association (OOHA) is founded.

1953

  • The new 60-bed Sandusky Memorial Hospital is completed.
  • Youngstown Osteopathic Hospital (a.k.a. Cafaro Memorial Hospital) is founded with 23 beds.

1954

  • The Ohio Department of Health grants Green Gross Hospital $200,000 to build a new hospital in Cuyahoga Falls; this new facility holds 75 beds.
  • Orrville Community Osteopathic Hospital (later Wayne General and now Dunlap Memorial Hospital) is founded.
  • Ohioan John W. Mulford, DO, is elected AOA president.

1957

  • Seven brothers from Norwalk earmark more than $1 million for the construction of what is to become Fisher-Titus Medical Center.
  • As a result of efforts by Theodore F. Classen, DO, the new 45-bed Brentwood Hospital opens in Warrensville Heights.

1958

  • Warren General Hospital opens with 42 beds.
  • Marietta Osteopathic Hospital is renamed Selby General Hospital after a generous donation by William Selby.

1959

  • Northeastern Ohio General Hospital opens in Painesville with 28 beds.

1960

  • Otto C. Epp Memorial Hospital opens its doors as a general hospital with 42 beds.
  • Richmond Heights General Hospital, the long-time dream of Jerry A. Zinni, DO, is dedicated as a 70-bed facility.

1961

  • Ohioan Charles L. Naylor, DO, is elected AOA president.

1962

  • After briefly closing, the former Mahoning Valley Green Cross Hospital opens as the Community Hospital of Warren with 43 beds.

1963

  • Doctors Hospital of Stark County is founded in Massillon with 48 beds.
  • Doctors Hospital West is dedicated as a new concept in health-care systems -- the satellite hospital; it is the first satellite hospital east of the Mississippi.

1965

  • Selby General Hospital moves to its modern location.

1966

  • Ohioan John W. Hayes, DO, is elected AOA president.

1967

  • Youngstown Osteopathic Hospital is one of the first in the country to be struck by a labor union strike when the AFL-CIO unsuccessfully attempted to unionize the hospital; during this 10-day period, the hospital is front page news all over the world.

1968

  • The Ohio Osteopathic Medical Assistants Association is founded.

1971

  • William S. Timmons, DO, of Warren is appointed to the Ohio State Medical Board.

1972

  • The Ohio Osteopathic Association House of Delegates passes a resolution forming a committee to "examine the feasibility of establishing an opportunity for students to pursue the DO degree within the state of Ohio..."
  • The OOA House of Delegates passes a resolution to support the creation of an osteopathic medical school in Ohio.

Mid-1970s

  • Community Hospital of Warren ceased to exist as a hospital, and the facility is converted to a nursing home.

1975

  • Evelyn Cover, DO, of Columbus becomes the first woman to serve on the Ohio State Medical Board; she is later named the board's first woman president -- and is the first DO to serve in this position.
  • On January 30, Rep. Tom Fries (D-Dayton) introduces legislation (House Bill 229) in the Ohio General Assembly to create an  Ohio osteopathic college which will emphasize the training of family physicians for underserved areas of the state.
  • On March 1, House Bill 229 is amended by the House Finance Committee, under the leadership of George D. Tablack (D-Campbell), to specify the osteopathic school be a "component part" of Ohio University.

  • On March 26, Amended House Bill 229 passes the Ohio House of Representatives by the overwhelming margin of 90 to 4.
  • On June 8, OOA House of Delegates unanimously approves six-year dues assessment of $250 per member to support the new College of Osteopathic Medicine.
  • On July 28, after a lengthy 2-1/2-hour debate, the Ohio Senate passes Amended House Bill 229 by a lopsided 24-6 vote; Neal F. Zimmers (D-Dayton) was chief Senate sponsor.
  • On August 18, the last possible day, Republican Governor James A. Rhodes signs Amended House Bill 229 with an effective date of November 17.
  • On November 16, the Ohio University Board of Trustees, at the request of President Harry Crewson, formally accepts the new college.

1976

  • On September 11, while renovation is still underway, Grosvenor Hall is dedicated as the first osteopathic medical school building at Ohio University; the first class arrives on campus just a few days later.

1978

  • Grandview Hospital and Medical Center open an ambulatory care facility on the south side of Dayton (later named Southview Hospital and Family Health Center), which wins recognition as the first facility in the state devoted exclusively to comprehensive outpatient care.
  • To emphasize the hospital's community role, Green Cross General Hospital changes its name to Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital.
  • Ohioan Donald Siehl, DO, is elected AOA president.

1980

  • Doctors Hospital of Nelsonville -- formerly Mt. Saint Mary's -- is purchased by Doctors Hospital of Columbus, preserving an important acute care facility in Southeastern Ohio.
  • On June 7, Ohio University graduates its first 21 physicians who receive the DO, or doctor of osteopathy degree.

1981

  • Bay View Hospital closes to make way for St. John West Shore Hospital, a joint venture with St. John Hospital.
  • The Family Health radio series begins at OU-COM; what starts as a small network eventually grows to more than 300 radio stations coast-to-coast and includes the U.S. Armed Forces Radio Network.

1982

  • Claridge Health Center joins the Grandview family, providing health-care services to underpriviledged and low-income families.

1983

  • Grandview Hospital and Medical Center expands its Ambulatory Care Center, making it a full-service satellite hospital, and renames it Southview Hospital and Family Health Center.

1985

  • Sandusky Memorial Hospital merges with Good Samaritan Hospital to form Firelands Community Hospital; the former SMH facility is later converted to an outpatient facility.

1988

  • Northeastern Ohio General Hospital closes its doors in 1988 and later reopens as part of the Lake Hospital System.
  • Otto C. Epp Memorial Hospital in Cincinnati is sold and renamed Jewish Hospital Kenwood.

1991

  • Ohioan Gilbert S. Bucholz, DO, is elected AOA president.

1993

  • Barbara Ross-Lee, DO, is named OU-COM's third dean -- she is the first African American woman to head a U.S. medical school.
  • Huber Health Center becomes solely affiliated with Grandview and Southview hospitals as an urgent care center.

1994

  • Brentwood Hospital and Meridia Suburban Hospital merge to become South Pointe Hospital.
  • Parkview Hospital in Toledo is closed and its osteopathic teaching and training programs are assumed by St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center.

1995

  • On July 1, OU-COM and nearly a dozen hospitals in Ohio officially launch the Centers for Osteopathic Regional Education (CORE) system; it is one of the largest medical education consortia in the nation and integrates all osteopathic clerkships, internships and residency programs in the State of Ohio.

1996

  • Warren General Hospital is purchased by St. Joseph Health Center, at which time all of St. Joseph's inpatient and related services are relocated to the former Warren General facility.
  • Grandview becomes affiliated with Kettering Medical Center to form the Alliance for Health of Southwest Ohio, a regional health-care delivery network.
  • St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center joins with St. Charles Mercy Hospital and Mercy Hospitals of Tiffin and Williard to form Mercy Health Partners.
  • Ohioan John P. Sevastos, DO, is elected AOA president.

1997

  • Richmond Heights General Hospital is acquired by Primary Health Systems and its name is changed to PHS Mt. Sinai Medical Center East.

1998

  • OU-COM is named the nation's No. 1 medical school in producing family doctors in a study conducted by the American Medical Students Association Foundation.
  • OhioHealth purchases assets of Doctors Hospital North, Doctors Hospital West and Doctors Hospital of Nelsonville.
  • OOA celebrates its centennial.

1999

  • Grandview Hospital in Dayton merges with Kettering Medical Center.

2000

  • PHS Mt. Sinai Medical Center East purchased by University Hospitals Health System.
  • Youngstown Osteopathic Hospital closes.
  • The Centers for Osteopathic Regional Education (CORE) system, one of the largest medical education consortia in the nation, changes its name to Centers for Osteopathic Research & Education (CORE).

2001

  • Jack Brose, DO, becomes OU-HCOM's fifth dean.  

2003

  • Cuyahoga General Falls Hospital acquired by Summa Health System.
  • Over 3000 DOs practicing in Ohio.
  • OOA District XIII (Lorain) is dissolved

2004

  • Ohio University Press publishes "A Second Voice: A Century of Osteopathic Medicine" by Carol Poh Miller. The book is commissioned by the OOA to celebrate the organization's centennial.
  • Ohioan George Thomas, DO, is elected AOA president.
  • Doctors Hospital North ceases to be an acute care hospital, and residency program moves to Doctors Hospital West.

2006

  • CORE celebrates its tenth anniversary.
  • Doctors Hospital of Stark County merges with Massillon Community Hospital to become Affinity Medical Center.
  • OOA District XI (Madison) merges with District VII (Cleveland)
  • Renovation of central office completed.

2008

  • Selby General Hospital affiliates with Marietta Memorial Hospital. 
  • OOA Celebrates its 110th anniversary and installs Commemorative Walkway

2009

  • Summa Health System and Western Reserve Hospital Partners assume operation of Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital, with plans to build a new 100-bed, for-profit hospital.
  • The Ohio Osteopathic Association joins the State of Ohio, BioOhio, Ohio Hospital Association and Ohio State Medical Association to form the Ohio Health Information Partnership (OHIP) and apply for $43 million in Federal HITECH grants to develop a statewide Health Information Exchange with Regional Extension Centers to help physicians install and use Electronic Health Records meaningfully.

2010

  • OOA and OU-COM collaboratively hold the first annual Ohio Osteopathic Symposium.Dr. Johnson
  • OU-COM  and the Ohio University College of Engineering dedicate the Osteopathic Heritiage Foundations and Charles and Marilyn Stuckey Jr. Academic & Research Center (ARC) in Athens.
  • Terry A. Johnson, DO, of McDermott, becomes the first DO ever elected to the Ohio General Assembly

 2011

  • Osteopathic Heritage Foundation announces a $105 million grant to support the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, the largest private grant ever made to a higher education institution in Ohio and among the top 50 ever given to an institution of higher education in the United States.  The college is renamed the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.
  • The Ohio University Board of Trustees enters negotiations to acquire property in Dublin, Ohio, for an OU-HCOM branch campus in Central Ohio.  The property, which includes 14.847 acres of land and three existing structures, is to be purchased for $11 million. 

2012

  • The Youngstown and Warren districts form the Western Reserve Academy of Osteopathic Medicine.
  • Kenneth H. Johnson, DO, becomes OU-HCOM dean.
  • Cleveland Clinic, Ohio University and OU-HCOM announce plans to invest $49.1 million at the South Pointe Hospital campus to rennovate a building and hire staff for a Cleveland Regional OU-HCOM Extension Branch that will accept 32 students in 2015.